Week : 6 Period: 16
UNIT 2: YOUR BODY AND YOU
Lesson: WRITING – The Food Column
Act.1. Questions and answers
1- What do you have for breakfast/ lunch/ dinner?
2- Before the exam, what do you usually eat?
Act.2. Words and expressions
1. consult (v) /kənˈsʌlt/: to ask for information or advice from someone who has special knowledge about a particular subject (tư vấn)
à consultation (n) /ˌkɒns(ə)lˈteɪʃ(ə)n/: the process of getting advice from an expert or a professional person (sự tư vấn)
2. allergy (n) /ˈælədʒi/: a medical condition in which you become sick or your skin becomes covered with red marks as a reaction to something you eat, breathe, or touch (sự dị ứng)
3. sleeplessness (n) /ˈsliːpləsnəs/: being awake and not sleeping (chứng mất ngủ)
4. sleepiness (n) /ˈsliːpinəs/: the feeling of being tired and wanting to sleep (chứng buồn ngủ)
5. alcohol (n) /ˈælkəhɒl/: drinks such as wine and beer that can make people drunk (đồ uống có cồn)
6. caffeine (n) /ˈkæfiːn/: a chemical, found for example in tea and coffee, that makes people more active (chất kích thích tự nhiên được tìm thấy phổ biến trong trà và cà phê)
7. spoil (v) /spɔɪl/: to destroy or reduce the pleasure, interest, or beauty of something (làm hư)
8. carbohydrate (n) /ˌkɑːr.boʊˈhaɪ.dreɪt/: one of several substances, such as sugar or starch, that provide the body with energy, or foods containing these substances such as bread, potatoes, pasta, and rice (thức ăn chứa nhiều tinh bột)
9. conscious (+ of) (a) /ˈkɑːn.ʃəs/: aware of and responding to one's surroundings (có nhận thức về)
10. grateful (a) /ˈɡreɪt.fəl/ = thankful /ˈθæŋk.fəl/: (biết ơn)
Act.3. (1+2. page 21/ textbook) Build a list of foods from your own experience that may give you allergies, bad breath, stress, sleeplessness or sleepiness. Then read the facts and check your list.
- allergies: milk, egg, nuts, soya, fish, shrimp, crab,...
- bad breath: garlic, onion, spicy food, alcohol,...
- stress: coffee, strong tea,...
- sleeplessness: coffee, cheese, spicy food, strong tea,...
- sleepiness: beans, cherry, banana, milk, honey, fish,...
Act.4. Format of a “request-for-help” letter
Dear Expert/Mr./ Mrs./Dr. …,
- I have had trouble with…: Tôi đang gặp rắc rối với…
Eg: I have just got a toothache.
Sincerely,/ Best regards,/ Many thanks,/…,
Act.5. Format of a reply to a “request-for-help” letter
- If I were you, I would…: Nếu tôi là bạn, tôi sẽ…
Eg: If I were you, I would not eat onion or garlic because they can give you bad breath.
Sincerely,/ Best regards,/ …,
Act.6. (3+4. page 22/ textbook) Write a “request-for-help” letter and a reply to a “request-for-help” letter (homework)
+ Learn the vocabulary.