GRADE 11 - Week 6 - Period 17
UNIT 2: RELATIONSHIPS
Warm – up
Act.1. PHONETICS (PRONUNCIATION + STRESS):
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the rest.
1. A. break B. breath C. thread D. tread
2. A. kissed B. laughed C. looked D. loved
Choose the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress.
3. A. campaign B. female C. humour D. partner
4. A. advise B. betray C. focus D. maintain
5. A. reconcile B. recommend C. understand D. volunteer
Act.2. LANGUAGE USE (VOCABULARY + GRAMMAR):
Choose the answer (A, B, C, D) that best complete the sentences:
6. When Laura suffered a break-up in her relationship, she saw a/an _______ for advice.
A. assistant B. counsellor C. agency D. service
7. She’s in good________with her neighbours.
A. points B. terms C. friendship D. harmony
8. I felt _______ to her when I heard she had recently parted from her boyfriend.
A. sympathised B. sympathetically C. sympathy D. sympathetic
9. Their close friendship _______ a romantic relationship.
A. brings about B. puts up C. takes over D. turns into
10. Due to financial conflict over years, they decided to get _______.
A. divorced B. engaged C. married D. proposed
11. Some people are meant to fall in love _______ each other but not meant to be together.
A. for B. in C. on D. with
Choose the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s)
12. I am now reconciled with two of my estranged siblings - not just my older brother, but my sister, whom I hadn't spoken to for 17 years.
A. contactable B. harmonised C. opposed D. truthful
Choose the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s)
13. He's a wonderful example of a kind-hearted person with good judgement.
A. inhuman B. tolerant C. generous D. sympathetic
14. The cake tastes ______.
A. good B. goodly C. well D. badly
15. Nicole grew ______ from the hours of overtime at work. It became quite ______ that she needed a long vacation.
A. tired/obvious B. tired/obviously C. tiredly/obvious D. tiredly/obviously
16. It was the woman who ______ us English last year.
A. taught B. teaches C. has taught D. had taught
17. John considers Julie intelligent while most of us don't.
A. It is Julie who most of us consider to be intelligent.
B. It was John who considered Julie intelligent.
C. It's Julie who John considers intelligent.
D. It is Julie that considers John intelligent.
Choose the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
18. It was my closest friend went abroad to study last month.
A B C D
19. After being closed for a long period of time, the house became dirty and smelled awfully.
A B C D
20. All the members of the committee looked cheerfully about the ultimate decision.
A B C D
Read the passage below and decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each space.
In a healthy relationship, both partners respect, trust and embrace (21) ____ differences. Both partners are able to communicate (22) ____ their needs and listen to their partner, and work to resolve conflict in a rational and non-violent way. But maintaining a healthy relationship (23) ____ for skills many young people are never taught. A lack of these skills, and (24) ____ up in a society that sometimes celebrates violence or in a community that experiences a high (25) ____ of violence, can lead to unhealthy and even violent relationships among youth.
21. A. another's B. each another's C. each other's D. one another's
22. A. effective B. effectively C. effectiveness D. ineffective
23. A. asks B. calls C. looks D. requires
24. A. bringing B. taking C. raising D. growing
25. A. rate B. number C. amount D. scale
Act.4. WRITING: Rewrite the sentences to focus attention on the underlined information.
26. We are coming to stay with Jane this weekend.
27. Your carelessness caused the accident.
28. The president makes the important decisions.
29. The woman answered the man rudely.
30. The boat race was held in this river.
- Redo the exercises.
- Revise vocabulary and grammar points of Unit 2.
18. C (who/that went)
19. D (awful)
20. C (cheerful)
21. C 22. B 23. B 24. D 25. A
26. à It is this weekend that we are coming to stay with Jane.
27. à It was your carelessness that caused the accident.
28. à It is the important decisions that the president makes.
29. à It was the man that the woman answered rudely.
30. à It was in this river that the boat race was held.